This course is only available as a recording.
Language is one of a lawyer's most important working tools. Legal practitioners must be able to communicate well, whether verbally or in written form. The impact is broader than grammar – it relates to professionalism, formal tone, how we come across, how we set out documents, everything required of a legal practitioner.
This course addresses how to present what we want to communicate in an accurate and consistent way, leaving no room for ambiguity. Mastering the English language will save you time, aggravation, and take your career as a young legal professional to the next level.
This course consists of four modules which can be taken separately and in any order. You can also opt to complete the entire course, whether you are upskilling yourself or just in need of a refresher.
View the content of each module below.
Part A: Sentences
- Subject-verb agreement
- Subject and predicate
- Simple, compound and complex sentences
- Sentence errors
Part B: Punctuation
- The full stop, question mark and exclamation mark
- Semicolons and colons
- The hyphen, dash or en rule
- Quotation marks/inverted commas
- Parentheses and brackets
Part C: Provision of answers to test yourself
Part A: Parts of speech and capital letters
Part B: Capitalisation and grammar helps
- Capital letters
- Grammar helps
Part A: Introduction
- Singular and plural
- Prefixes and suffixes
- Commonly confused word combinations
- Frequently misspelled words
- Problem pairs
- Common errors
- Numbers, dates, and time
- New words
Part B: Provision of answers to test yourself
- Sentence length
- Connections or signposts
- Legal writing
- Crisp writing
- Plain language
Legal practitioners and all those doing legal work who need to improve their verbal and written communication skills.
- Each module is presented over 2 hours, which is available as recordings.
- When opting for recordings, follow the instructions in your registration confirmation email to request access to view recordings online. Recordings can be viewed at any time once you've received login details. Recordings are only available for a limited time, please refer to your registration confirmation letter for more information.
- The presentation is accompanied by a comprehensive reference manual, sent in PDF format.
- No written assessments will be required to complete any of the modules.
- You will receive a certificate of attendance.
- Have confidence in your verbal and written communication skills when drafting legal documents, composing emails, liaising with clients, or articulating arguments.
- Communicate in a clear and concise manner, ensuring that nothing gets lost in translation.
- Reach higher professional standards, while communicating in a way that is easily understood.